The Elmer and Louise Menges Scholarship was established as a competition to encourage young musicians to pursue an interest in music. Winners of the competition play a solo at a concert with the Ambler Symphony.
Auditions are scheduled for April 12, 2014, between 9am and 3pm. Auditions will be held at the Upper Dublin Lutheran Church, 411 Susquehanna Rd, Ambler, PA 19002. Applications will be available in early 2014.
- The competition is open to all serious music students who will not have graduated from high school on or before May, 2014.
- Audition one or more of the following: Violin, Viola, Violoncello, String Bass, Guitar, Mandolin, Flute/Piccolo, Oboe/English Horn, Clarinet, Saxophone, Bassoon, French Horn, Trumpet/Cornet, Trombone, Tuba, Harp, Percussion, Piano or Voice.
- Study under a private instructor (letter of recommendation from your instructor is desirable but not mandatory).
- Have not previously been awarded a Menges Scholarship.
- Application implies acceptance of the Scholarship Audition rules and qualifications.
Requirements for Auditions:
- Memorize and play a fast and a slow movement of a Concerto, Sonata or study piece of the player’s choice.
- Music for the audition should be presented to the judges at the audition for their information and will be returned at the end of the audition.
- All travel and hotel and any of the applicant’s expenses are the responsibility of the applicant.
- Accompanists, if required, are to be provided by the applicant. The facilities are limited for piano usage; Piano applicants will take precedence for warm up space.
- Each participant will be allotted a 10 minute limit from introduction to end of the audition.
Notification and Award:
- Applicants will be notified of the Jury’s decisions within three weeks of the audition.
- The Jury reserves the right not to select a winner.
- Applicants named as Menges Recipients will perform with the Ambler Symphony during the 2014-2015 Concert Season.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Do I need an accompanist? No. You may bring one if you wish, but it is up to you.
- Do I need to present the judges a copy of the music I am performing? Yes.
- Does the audition require one each of Concerto, Sonata, or study piece? No. The applicant should prepare an audition piece that presents their capabilities and shows all aspects of their performance abilities. Remember – TIME IS LIMITED
- If I am not selected this year, may I apply next year? Yes, as long as you meet the qualifications.
- What is the fee for applying? A fee is not required.
- What is the audition time? Auditions will run from 9 AM to approximately 3 PM. If you require special time consideration please note and we will try to accommodate.
Due to the interest in this program, time permits only a limited amount of participants. Selection of audition participants will be based on receipt of application as well as applicants qualifications.