Applications for the 2018-2019 Menges Scholarship are coming soon. Please check back again in the next month.
Background, Rules, and Frequently Asked Questions
The Elmer and Louise Menges Scholarship was established as a competition to encourage young musicians to pursue an interest in music. Winners of the competition play a solo at a concert with the Ambler Symphony. Auditions date to be announced.
- The competition is open to all serious music students who will not have graduated from high school on or before May 2019.
- Auditions are limited to orchestral instruments, piano or voice.
- Study under a private instructor (letter of recommendation from your instructor is desirable but not mandatory).
- Have not previously been awarded a Menges Scholarship.
- Application implies acceptance of the Scholarship Audition rules and qualifications.
Requirements for Auditions:
- Memorize and play a section of a Concerto, Sonata or study piece of the player’s choice that demonstrates the player’s capabilities to best effect.
- Music for the audition should be presented to the judges at the audition for their information and will be returned at the end of the audition.
- All travel, hotel/lodging, and any of the applicant’s expenses are the responsibility of the applicant.
- Accompanists, if desired, are to be provided by the applicant. There are only two pianos available at Upper Dublin Lutheran Church and one is in the audition room. Pianist applicants will have priority on use of the second piano to warm up. Others who wish to practice with a piano accompanist should be aware that there will be limited, if any, piano availability for rehearsal. (Please also note that there is no requirement for use of an accompanist – we really want to hear your talent!)
- Each participant will be allotted a 10 minute limit from introduction to end of the audition.
Notification and Award:
- Applicants will be notified of the Jury’s decisions within three weeks of the audition.
- The Jury reserves the right not to select a winner.
- Applicants named as Menges Recipients will perform with the Ambler Symphony during the 2017-2018 Concert Season.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Do I need an accompanist? No. You may bring one if you wish, but it is up to you.
- Do I need to present the judges a copy of the music I am performing? Yes.
- Does the audition require one each of Concerto, Sonata, or study piece? No. The applicant should prepare an audition piece that presents their capabilities and shows all aspects of their performance abilities. Remember – TIME IS LIMITED
- If I am not selected this year, may I apply next year? Yes, as long as you meet the qualifications.
- What is the fee for applying? A fee is not required.
- What is the audition time? Audition date for 2018 to be announced. If you require special time consideration please note and we will try to accommodate.
Due to the interest in this program, time permits only a limited amount of participants. Selection of audition participants will be based on receipt of application as well as applicants qualifications.