Our next ASO Scholarship Audition will be April 22, 2023 at Settlement Music School, Willow Grove, PA. This audition is for the ASO Scholarship Concert in February 2024. The audition is now closed.
Background, Rules, and Frequently Asked Questions
The Ambler Symphony Orchestra Scholarship was established as a competition to encourage young musicians to pursue an interest in music. Winners of the competition play a solo at a concert with the Ambler Symphony.
- The competition is open to all serious music students who will not have graduated from high school on or before May 2024.
- Auditions are limited to orchestral instruments, piano or voice.
- Study under a private instructor (letter of recommendation from your instructor is desirable but not mandatory).
- Have not previously been awarded an Ambler Symphony Orchestra Scholarship.
- Application implies acceptance of the Scholarship Audition rules and qualifications.
Requirements for Auditions
- Memorize and play a fast and a slow movement of a Concerto, Sonata or study piece of the player’s choice.
- Music for the audition should be presented to the judges at the audition for their information and will be returned at the end of the audition.
- All travel and hotel and any of the applicant’s expenses are the responsibility of the applicant.
- Accompanists, if required, are to be provided by the applicant. The facilities are limited for piano usage; Piano applicants will take precedence for warm up space.
- Each participant will be allotted a 10 minute limit from introduction to end of the audition.
Notification and Award
- Applicants will be notified of the Jury’s decisions within three weeks of the audition.
- The Jury reserves the right not to select a winner.
- Applicants named as Scholarship Recipients will perform with the Ambler Symphony during the 2023-2024 Concert Season.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need an accompanist? No. You may bring one if you wish, but it is up to you.
- Do I need to present the judges a copy of the music I am performing? Yes.
- Does the audition require one each of Concerto, Sonata, or study piece? No. The applicant should prepare an audition piece that presents their capabilities and shows all aspects of their performance abilities. Remember – TIME IS LIMITED
- If I am not selected this year, may I apply next year? Yes, as long as you meet the qualifications.
- What is the fee for applying? A fee is not required.
- What is the audition time? After applying, the Ambler Symphony Scholarship Audition coordinator will contact you.
Due to the interest in this program, time permits only a limited amount of participants. Selection of audition participants will be based on receipt of application as well as applicants qualifications.